News from Barbara!
THE CARGILL CONNECTION,
Dear Friends and Supporters,
It is with great enthusiasm that I am running for re-election to the State Board of Education! My family is supportive; after prayer and discussion, we agreed this was the right thing to do. Also, after talking with many of my constituents, I feel your support and encouragement to continue my role in impacting the education of our precious schoolchildren.
Barbara’s wonderful family includes husband Terry and sons
Chase (24), Connor (22), and Blake (24).
As your State Board of Education member, these are a few highlights of my 11 years of service:
- Appointed twice by Governor Rick Perry to serve as Chair of the Board from July 2011 through June 2015, the maximum time allowed
- Served on the Governor-appointed Commission for College Ready Texas to improve students’ college readiness
- Worked tirelessly to develop state curriculum standards that are concise, measurable and rigorous
- Voted for textbooks which provide teachers and students with accurate, academically sound instructional materials
- Served as a conservative fiduciary of the Permanent School Fund which is now the largest education endowment in the country
Here are specific examples of what I have supported:
- History curriculum standards and textbooks that emphasize our Founding Fathers, founding documents like the U.S. Constitution, our rich religious heritage, the service of our military, the free enterprise system and American exceptionalism
- English curriculum standards that emphasize grammar, phonics, handwriting, spelling, and composition skills as well as a focus on serious literature in English classes
- Curriculum standards that focus on the fundamental skills of mathematics like memorizing the multiplication/division tables and discouraging the use of calculators in elementary school
- Science standards and textbooks that encourage students to think, ask, and predict, have increased lab time and that present evolution as a theory, not as fact
It is my passion to continue the pursuit of excellence in public education in Texas. I have been a strong conservative voice for children, parents, and teachers and have sent clear conservative messages through my careful votes. These have proved my dedication to our school children.
Under my leadership as Chair for the past four years, the Board is set to focus on much-needed improvements such as college and workplace readiness, quality classroom instruction supported by the best instructional materials and academic success for every child. It would be a privilege for me to continue to represent District 8 in this position!
I need your support to win re-election. There are many ways that you can help. Your prayers for me and my family would be much appreciated. In addition, please add your name to the endorsement list that appears on my website: http://barbaracargill.com/endorse/I.Endorse.Barbara.2016.html
Funds are needed to help me continue the fight for our children. Please support my campaign by going to http://barbaracargill.com/donate/Help-Barbara2015.html
Every little bit helps in spreading the word to the 9 counties in my district. Thank you!
Barbara with culinary students and Conroe ISD superintendent Don
at College Park High School.
Please forward this e-mail to parents, teachers, administrators, and
others who have an interest in education.
Pol. adv. paid for by Barbara Cargill for SBOE, 61 W. Wedgemere, The Woodlands, TX 77381